Mod #6b: The Student Evaluation: Academic Clinical Nursing Instructor Program
The goal and purpose of this module is to assist the novice clinical instructor with the basic principles of providing both formative and summative clinical evaluations.
National League for Nursing Nurse Clinical Nurse Educator Core Competencies underpin this module and are woven throughout this module. The competencies listed below are all directly quoted.
- NLN Competency 6 – Implement Effective Clinical Assessment and Evaluation Strategies
- Use a variety of strategies to determine achievement of learning outcomes
- Implement both formative and summative evaluation that is appropriate to the learner and learning outcomes
- Engage in timely communication with course faculty regarding learner clinical performance
- Maintain integrity in the assessment and evaluation of learners
- Provide timely, objective, constructive, and fair feedback to learners
- Use learner data to enhance the teaching-learning process in the clinical learning environment
- Demonstrate skill in the use of best practices in the assessment and evaluation of clinical performance
- Assess and evaluate learner achievement of clinical performance expectations
- Use performance standards to determine learner strengths and weaknesses in the clinical learning environment
- Document learner clinical performance, feedback, and progression
Shellenbarger, T. (Ed.). (2019). Clinical Nurse Educator Competencies: Creating an evidenced-based practice for academic clinical nurse educators. Washington DC: National League for Nursing. (pp. 73-74).
On the next slide:
- Enter your name and credentials as you wish them to appear on your certificate of completion.
- Scroll to the last slide of the module to mark this module completed.