Introduction to Developmental Disabilities
The Definition of Development Disability:
According to Public Law 98-527, developmental disability is defined as a severe and long lasting disability of a person which:
- is the result of a mental or physical impairment, or both.
- occurs before the age of 22.
- is likely to continue indefinitely.
- reflects the person's needs for specialized services and/or treatment.
- results in substantial functional limitations in three or more of the following areas:
- Economic self-sufficiency
- Independent living
- Receptive and expressive language