Is employee training really necessary?
Employee training minimizes mistakes, which has an impact on the business level
There is only one answer possible here. Yes, employee training is really necessary. You only realize it when you look at the benefits it provides. Without a training program, your employees will make more mistakes and require assistance from others in the company, which will slow everyone down. Training employees makes them more productive. It also helps new hires become productive faster. In the long run, employee training minimizes mistakes, which has an impact on the business level. Companies that make employee training a priority have 281% higher revenue per employee and 24% higher profit margins .
Yet, many companies still struggle to determine whether investing in a training program is worth it. Often, business owners think it is only reserved for big companies with big wallets. Other misconceptions are that all training programs are overly complicated, elaborate, and expensive. They can be so complicated that most companies generally end up with no training process at all, which is a pity.
Why should you give employee training priority?
We already mentioned some benefits from a business perspective. Now let’s focus on how employee training helps the employee .
- It makes employees feel welcome. Starting a new job or position can be frightening. Meeting new colleagues, learning rules and procedures, it’s too much at once! Effective employee onboarding can give new hires more confidence and a feeling of security in the company.
- It improves their skills and knowledge. Training employees can help identify gaps in their skills that can be worked on. It also teaches them the technical and soft skills that are necessary for the job or to develop in a new role.
- It helps employees understand and fit in with the company culture. Some people can have a “feel” for the place they are in and quickly adapt. Others take longer. Facilitate that process by documenting your mission, values, and company culture (while ensuring your company lives by them).
- It measures their performance. Performance reviews can be daunting, especially if employees get the same shallow feedback year after year. An employee training program gives the company and the employee the necessary information to measure employee performance accurately. Progress interviews become more valuable.
- It prepares employees for more responsibilities. It helps them know exactly where they need to improve so they can deliver better work and be ready for more responsibilities faster. They can easily develop into a higher or management position.
- It makes employees feel valued. Employees who have access to continuous training programs are more likely to feel valued, engaged, and loyal to your company. To put it simply, they stay longer and are willing to take that extra mile.
Curious about its other benefits? Read this article the advantages and disadvantages of employee training.
It is important to evaluate your current process
How to improve your employee training process
Like most things, getting a training program right can be challenging at first. However, it will get easier with practice and the right tools. It is important to evaluate your current process. Does it deliver the goods? What are the bottlenecks? How can I improve on them in an incremental way? To save you time here is what we have learned through experience :
- Make learning more flexible and accessible. Employees are busier than ever. Employees might find making time for training difficult and stressful. Give them the flexibility to learn at their convenience. In this sense, it helps to put your employee training online with an LMS.
- Involve the team manager and HR. Managers know what skills their team needs. If you involve them as a coach, their staff will feel more inclined to showcase what they have learned. Also, the team manager can monitor performance in order to get the team to the level he/she wants.
- Use a Learning Management System. For example, Easy LMS. With this tool, you can organize all your training materials in one place. It can be styled your company’s brand. Employees can access it anytime, anywhere and learn at their own pace. Using an online tool eliminates the excessive complication and costs of setting up an elaborate program for employees. Disclaimer: an LMS is not a good solution for all situations. Read here for what training types work best.
- Consider different learning preferences and knowledge levels. Make your training material as customized as possible. It sounds like a lot of time. But if you benchmark your staff’s knowledge with an exam, you can tailor the training to their knowledge level. Regarding learning preferences, understand that Millennials respond differently and more enthusiastically to sophisticated training technology than an older audience.
- Ask employees what they want. This should be your starting point. If you match your training to the needs of your employees, you will have a bigger chance of success. You can gather employee feedback with performance interviews, focus groups, or surveys.
Improve your training with Easy LMS
Easy LMS is a user-friendly LMS that enables you to create engaging and interactive Courses. Share them along with challenging Exams in our Academy. This Academy is the central hotspot for your employees to access all learning content. Just one click, continuous training for everyone! Save yourself some time and try it for free!
Frequently Asked Questions