Table of contents
- E-learning trends to implement in 2023
- Why you should care about e-learning trends
- Let our LMS do the heavy lifting
E-learning trends to implement in 2023
The following trends are predicted to see a big boom in 2023 :
Mobile-friendly learning is already an established learning style . As an emerging trend, companies are taking a mobile-first approach which requires the development of a mobile app. This means that learning is now even more adapted for our active, on-the-go lives.
What is mobile-first learning?
Mobile-first learning is an approach to e-learning that is designed specifically for smart devices. This type of e-learning is built with the understanding that many people use their smartphones and tablets to access information and learn new skills.
What are the key features of mobile-first learning?
Mobile-first learning typically involves creating content that is optimized for small screens and touch-based navigation. Check out its common features:
- Creating responsive learning experiences. Mobile-first learning helps you create a responsive learning experience because learning can be adjusted to different device sizes. This is a great boost for completion rates as it allows learners to access the learning materials regardless of the device they are using!
- Mobile-first learning and microlearning. Mobile-first learning and microlearning are sort of like sisters . Both deliver learning content in small, bite-sized chunks. Opt for this style of learning to hold your participants' attention. The format is designed to be consumed in short bursts of time rather than in longer, more traditional e-learning sessions.
Which kinds of content are suitable for mobile-first learning?
Mobile-first learning is all about making learning easily accessible and digestible. Learning on a smartphone, for example, may not work so well when the material is lengthy and complicated. Similarly, some topics or subjects might require a more immersive or interactive experience that can only be delivered on a computer or in a classroom.
If you want to learn fact-based content in bite-sized chunks, then mobile-first learning is a perfect fit! Think, for example, about picking up a new language with this well-suited learning style.
Mobile-first learning is all about making learning easily accessible and digestible
Hybrid learning has been popular for a few years now, but it is expected to explode in 2023. This is especially true in workplace settings where work is continuously done in a hybrid way. The fusion of online and face-to-face learning will likely only increase in the coming years as more companies keep up the post-coronavirus working-from-home mentality.
What is hybrid learning?
Hybrid learning is a method of education that combines online and in-person instruction. It typically involves a combination of online learning activities, such as online lectures, reading, and assessments, and in-person instruction, such as classroom lectures, discussions, and hands-on activities.
Some examples of hybrid learning include:
- Flipped classroom. This learning type is all about preparation! Participants watch pre-recorded lectures or read assigned materials online before coming to class, where they engage in group discussions and activities.
- Blended learning. The best of both worlds . Combine online with face-to-face instruction and let participants complete some coursework online and some in the classroom. The recipe for a supportive and interactive learning environment!
- Online learning with support. Just because you need to learn entirely online doesn’t mean you have to do it alone! With this learning style, participants can complete online coursework with the added support of an online teacher or mentor who is available for questions and support.
- Online learning with in-person labs. Calling all science fanatics! Maximize efficiency with a combination of online coursework and practical in-person lab sessions.
What are the key features of hybrid learning?
Hybrid learning is much more flexible than traditional in-person or online-only instruction. Let your learners control when and where they learn. This learning style also provides opportunities for interaction and collaboration between learners, and it can allow for a more personalized learning experience.
Which kinds of content are suitable for hybrid learning?
COVID-19 has led to a global explosion of hybrid learning. Almost everything moved online during the pandemic. Trainers are now looking for a happy medium: hybrid learning lets you stay cautious while also allowing your learners to benefit from face-to-face interaction. When designing a course, for example, which aspects of the learning material can be taken online? Some can be shared through online methods, like quizzes, while others benefit from in-person teachings, like a safety demonstration.
Nano-learning is likely to become even more popular than it already was in 2023. This is because our shortening attention spans respond best to quick, short snippets of information. It is primarily useful for imparting complex information in a digestible way, which is ideal for Generation Z, who find university degrees less relevant.
What is nano-learning?
Nano-learning, also known as ‘nanodegrees,' is a type of e-learning that focuses on delivering very specific, narrowly-focused skills and knowledge in a short amount of time. It is a form of microlearning, which is learning in small, easily digestible chunks. The term 'nano’ implies that the learning experience is even smaller and more focused than microlearning.
Nano-learning is likely to become even more popular than it already was in 2023
What are the features of nano-learning?
You can complete nano-learning training in a matter of seconds or minutes rather than days or weeks. This makes it well-suited for busy professionals or people who are looking to acquire new skills quickly. The content is typically delivered through videos, quizzes, and hands-on projects. This type of learning will likely be even more popular as we shift towards a ‘gig economy'. In this economy, short-term contracts and freelance work will likely be prioritized over permanent contracts. Nano-learning helps impart knowledge quickly, which is vital in this changing work landscape!
Which types of content are suitable for nano-learning?
Nano-learning is designed to be consumed quickly. Short videos or other multimedia are best suited to this learning style because they facilitate the concise sharing of information. Get everyone on the same page and use nano-learning, for example, to share short clips about how to make your workplace more inclusive.
It’s an exciting time for artificial intelligence (AI) in e-learning . Many learning management systems (LMS) already use AI to automate tons of tasks such as content translation or course, exam, and quiz generation. However, with the explosion of the chatbot tool ‘ChatGPT’, many companies are adapting how they use AI to its fullest potential in 2023.
What is AI?
AI involves using machines to do work typically done by humans. It can mirror human intelligence via natural language processing.
What are the features of AI?
One of the key features of AI is that it creates a customizable learning experience for every learner’s needs. It also promotes improved retention. It is helpful as an online learning tool, such as with the new AI software ‘ChatGPT', or to integrate into LMSs.
AI can be used in various ways to enhance the e-learning experience. For example:
- Personalization. Create a personalized learning experience for each learner by analyzing their learning style, progress, and preferences. This allows the LMS to adjust the content, pace, and difficulty level to best suit the learner’s needs.
- Adaptive learning. Improve at lightning speed with adaptive learning! AI-powered LMSs can track learners' progress and adjust the content accordingly. This allows learners to focus on the areas they need to improve and move on more quickly from the areas they have already mastered.
- Automated grading and feedback. Revolutionize how you give feedback! AI offers a quick way to grade assessments and provide feedback to learners in real-time. This allows learners to receive immediate feedback on their performance, enabling quicker improvement.
- Interactive simulations and games. AI helps create interactive simulations and games that make learning more engaging and fun. Boring e-learning courses can be a thing of the past!
- Chatbots and virtual assistants. Bots tend to outsmart humans . AI-powered chatbots and virtual assistants give learners instant answers to their questions, making it easier for them to find the information they need.
Which types of content are suitable for learning through AI?
Entire online learning courses can be created with AI. Long articles can also be written with the tool. As this section has demonstrated, most types of content are suitable for learning through AI. However, using this method can be expensive and time-consuming to set up. Also, the adaptable nature of AI is great for creating unique content for different learners’ needs but not really necessary when designing mandatory courses such as those for compliance training.
As with other bite-sized and engaging learning techniques, gamification is likely to keep rising in popularity in 2023. Games can make you actually want to learn. They also bring a social and competitive aspect to learning. They also promote minimizing stress while still helping you to learn !
What is gamification?
Gamification in e-learning is the process of incorporating game-like elements and mechanics into educational content to make learning more engaging and interactive. This approach is becoming increasingly popular as it has been shown to improve motivation, engagement, and retention of information.
What are the features of gamification?
One of the key features of gamification in e-learning is that it’s fun. Learners are motivated to complete tasks by incorporating elements like points, badges, and leaderboards. This can be especially useful for mandatory training, such as compliance training or subjects that may be considered dry or uninteresting, as it makes the material more engaging and interactive.
Which types of content are suitable for learning through gamification?
Gamification in e-learning enables immediate feedback and progress tracking, which can be especially useful for self-paced e-learning. Feedback is vital to help learners identify areas to improve.
An example of gamification in action is in the case of new employees at a construction site. Gamified scenarios such as true or false, word searches, and memory games help educate and inform colleagues leading to less dangerous mistakes and reduced costs. Plus, it can be done on-site with a smartphone. Extra efficient!
Incorporating gamification in e-learning can also be used to make learning more social. By incorporating elements such as multiplayer games, learners can interact with each other. This builds a sense of community and can make learning more collaborative.
Why you should care about e-learning trends
Caring about e-learning trends can be the difference between successful and unsuccessful online training. Your time and resources are precious, so making e-learning effective is essential. The following reasons might motivate you to follow this year’s trends:
Caring about e-learning trends can be the difference between successful and unsuccessful online training
- Improve learning outcomes. By staying up-to-date with the latest e-learning trends, you can improve the effectiveness of your learning experiences. For example, incorporating virtual reality or gamification into your e-learning can make it more engaging and interactive, meaning employees are more likely to start and ultimately complete their training!
- Cost savings. E-learning can be a more cost-effective way to acquire new skills and knowledge than traditional in-person training. Stay on top of the trends and be among the first to enjoy the benefits of new technologies and methods that can be cost and time-effective!
- Increased flexibility. E-learning provides learning flexibility, which can be especially important for busy professionals or those with families. By understanding the latest e-learning trends, you can make the most of these flexible learning options.
- Keep up with the latest developments. E-learning is a rapidly evolving field, and new developments are happening constantly. By staying informed about the latest trends, you can be prepared for new opportunities and challenges that may arise.
It’s worth noting that these e-learning trends do not offer a one-size-fits-all solution, but rather act as tools that can be combined with other e-learning methods to create more effective and engaging learning experiences.
Let our LMS do the heavy lifting
Use Easy LMS to promote engaging, on-the-go, and adaptive online learning. It provides the framework for putting the top trends in motion. On top of that, it makes creating and distributing learning material straightforward, perfect for if you’re starting from scratch, but it will also save you time if you have existing material!
Frequently Asked Questions