Senior back-end software engineer
Are you passionate about building a great product? Do you have lots of experience setting up scalable software products and are you willing to share your knowledge with your colleagues while working together on elegant solutions for our clients? Then Easy LMS is looking for you! What you build with your team will be used by 2,000+ clients worldwide. Join us on our mission to bring effective and accessible e-learning to employees around the world 🚀 .
What will you do as a senior back-end software engineer?
With us, you will work in an autonomous problem-solving team and have shared responsibility for what is delivered. However, as a senior back-end software engineer, you have a key role in ensuring product and code quality. You will take an active role in defining the application’s architecture, data structure, and how the application works from an end-user perspective. You can easily pinpoint structural problems in the software and take the lead in converting legacy systems into maintenance-friendly software. Your knowledge and experience with this allow us to boost development processes, speed, and quality to the next level. You are our missing link!
You have a key role in ensuring product and code quality
Working in a team with your fellow engineers, you will be responsible for the performance and reliability of our product. You will make well-considered trade-offs between available time and quality to improve existing code and make your and the rest of the team’s daily work easier, so we can continuously speed up our development cycle and improve quality.
You will perform these responsibilities as part of a problem-solving team committed to building and improving our learning management system (LMS) in short iterations. A problem-solving team is a mix of front and back-end software engineers and implementation consultants. You will work closely together to build valuable features for our users. As a team, you are involved in every phase of feature development in which you have a lot of freedom of choice and responsibility. This means specifically that you, working with the rest of your team, will:
- Prioritize the features you will work on based on client and business impact.
- Join feature planning meetings where you discuss and decide how to solve problems from an end-user perspective.
- Write short feature solution proposals with your team for the product owner.
- Break down the feature into small tasks and divide them among the team.
- Implement the solution with modern techniques, such as TypeScript in a serverless environment. In such a way that it’s test-driven and applies the principles of continuous delivery. You ensure that during the feature implementation, the team also works on making the software scalable.
- Code review the work of your colleagues and process their feedback on your work.
- Test whether the feature meets our quality standards before deploying it with your team.
We deliver features in cycles of 2 or 4 days. We deploy our code as soon as it adds value, meaning we can deploy multiple times a day. Short iterations mean faster feedback on our assumptions. We learn more and produce less waste.
Do you want to know what makes being a back-end software engineer at Easy LMS unique? Read the interview with Markus, one of our Back-end Software Engineers.
Who are we looking for?
Do you enjoy solving problems
We are looking for a driven senior back-end software engineer who enjoys solving problems, initiates solutions and discussions, and believes that any challenge can be scaled with the right mindset and tools.
We have found that people who match the following requirements thrive in our fast-paced environment:
- Have been building web applications professionally for more than 7 years.
- Have a bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science or software engineering or a related field or equivalent working experience.
- Are available for at least 32 hours a week.
- Are passionate about building a great software product with a diverse team of colleagues.
- Have experience with TypeScript, Node.js, PHP, MySQL, Amazon Web Services, Docker containers, deploy pipelines and the Linux command line.
- Possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- Can quickly master new systems, languages, and frameworks.
- Write understandable, testable code with an eye for maintainability.
- Possess a willingness and curiosity to continually improve your (engineering) skills.
- Like working in a multidisciplinary team and learning from other disciplines. You must be team-oriented.
- Are adaptable to working with an experienced, multicultural team.
- Speak and write English at a proficient business level.
- Live in the Netherlands.
It’s a big plus if you have knowledge about/experience with the following:
- Data migration within an Amazon environment.
This position can be fulfilled partly remotely as we support working from home. But we expect you to be able to come to the office 2-3 days a week. You can also work entirely from our office. It's up to you!
What do we offer?
We learn from our mistakes and work in a way that prioritizes learning over results
- Focus on personal growth and development. We learn from our mistakes and work in a way that prioritizes learning over results.
- An open and diverse team of young and experienced colleagues.
- A calm company that cares about its employees, physically and mentally. For instance, we offer monthly chair massages, healthy lunches, and a very green office. On top of that: we don’t do overtime.
- An agile environment with a lot of freedom, responsibility, and flexibility to achieve a work/life balance that fits you.
- We alternate normal working weeks with play weeks where we step away from our daily work and dedicate time to side projects and experimenting with (new) technical stuff.
- We provide you with all the hardware you need to do your job, such as a sit/standing desk, multiple screens, monitor glasses, and so on.
- We celebrate success and alternate smart and focused work with relaxing moments, like barbecuing, and Friday afternoon drinks!
- An attractive salary and secondary benefits.
About Easy LMS
We are a growing software company with an international team passionate about personal growth and development. The outcome is a user-friendly LMS that stimulates effective learning and makes training enjoyable! Our primary focus is employee training for small and medium-sized businesses, but we deliver a great training experience for any scenario and every team!
We have over 2,000 clients in more than 120 countries, and are aiming to triple our size in the next three years. Our office is located in the center of Delft. We are a small, agile company with a collegial culture of supporting each other as a team. Our aim is also to be a calm company where you can be proud of your achievements.
A day in the life of a senior back-end software engineer
Let’s assume you'll be working from the office:
9:00 First, a cup of coffee and a look at your to-do list. It's a full day 🙂.
9:15 You prepare for the stand-up with your problem-solving team.
9:30 Stand-up time! You tell the team about your progress and ask your fellow senior engineer to brainstorm with you about a potential architecture improvement. You have a suggestion and want to bounce it off your teammates. You will pitch your idea during the dev weekly meeting this afternoon.
10:00 You complete your subtask! Your subtask is part of the story to make the delete account feature fully self-service. You commit to your work and request a code review.
11:00 You continue with another subtask. You turn off your Slack and take some quiet time to figure out how to deploy the changes to the database without causing any downtime.
12:00 A colleague peer-reviewed the code for your first subtask. You walk through the comments together because your teammate is curious about your approach. You explain the details and refer to some interesting documentation.
12:30 Lunchtime! We serve an extensive bread lunch with boiled eggs, local cheeses, and biological spreads.
13:00 You start refactoring your code. You mastered a new approach, profit! You push your subtask to Git, and all tests pass. Nice!
13:30 Time to do the manual QA for the story with your problem-solving team. You discover one bug and solve it with your teammates!
14:30 The self-service story is done! Everything works as expected, so it's time to deploy. All clients worldwide will be using the new feature soon!
15:00 Time to unwind! You go for a walk with colleagues around the city center of Delft.
15:15 You meet with your fellow back-end engineers for a weekly meeting. You discuss some problems that cropped up during the past week, including tests that are difficult to refactor. You also discuss new techniques, and you pitch your architecture idea. This leads to an interesting discussion about a new library.
16:00 A junior engineer asks you to review their code and advise on how to write better maintainable code.
17:30 Now that you’ve committed your work and finished the review, you look at possible new stories. You’re looking forward to a new day!
Are you keen to work with us? Please explain your motivation in an email and send it with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Do you have questions about this vacancy? You can contact Caroline Heijkoop on +31 683712762.
Message for recruiters and headhunters
We understand that you may want to look for candidates for this vacancy, but we prefer to do that ourselves.