What are the advantages of induction training?
Induction training has many benefits for organizations and its employees. For the organization, an effective induction training system has the following advantages:
- Saves a lot of time and company money: Induction training provides all the information needed to help a new hire to start performing his duties. The better and more effective the training, the faster a new employee can start delivering results quickly.
- Reduces employee turnover: When a new employee starts in a company, he has a thousand questions about his new role and the company itself that need to be answered. The fastest he can get an answer for those questions, the more prepared and confident he will feel about his new position and what he can accomplish inside the organization.
- Ensures operational efficiency: An effective training helps employees understand the company culture, its values, its place in the world, and where they, as employees, fit in the puzzle. Also, keeping all new hires and employees on the same page ensures quality and consistency across all the company’s products and services.
For the employee:
- Makes the new employee feel respected and valued: good induction training is like a warm welcome: it helps employees feel valued, respected and a part of something bigger than themselves. It motivates them to give their best.
- Provides the necessary information: A comprehensive induction training helps the employee get the necessary information to do his job and clarifies the companies’ expectations of him. Learning the company culture, rules and policies makes it easier to adapt to the work environment.
- Helps establishing good communication: By learning how the company operates, its structure and the people he has to answer to, the new employee knows exactly where and who to look for when he needs information, or has questions.
What are the disadvantages of induction training?
The disadvantages don’t really come with the fact of conducting induction training itself, since training employees is always something positive, except when the training is poorly designed and does not meet the needs of the employees and may get them started off on the wrong note.
The worst consequence of that, which would be similar of not providing any training at all, is high (and costly) employee turnover. And even if the employee stays in the company, he will be ill equipped to perform his job well, could be embarrassed to ask questions and might lose trust in the company.
Induction training, when done effectively, is a great way to train new employees on their roles in a company. It increases employee retention and overall performance and happiness at work, benefiting both the organization and the employee.
More articles that might interest you
Self-Paced learning meaning
What is self-paced learning? What is the definition and what does self-paced learning exactly mean? Improve your memory and make your tests whenever you want? Is self-paced learning the solution?
With self-paced learning you can make your own decisions instead of answering questions within a certain amount of time, participants are able to answer questions within the time that is needed for them. Each participant can decide what time is needed to answer the questions. Now you know the definition of self-paced learning, let's take a look at the benefits of self-paced training.
LMS meaning: what is an LMS? LMS definition explained
People working at internet companies seem to like their abbreviations. They just sound so professional: Saas, Cloud, ERP, LMS. What is that "LMS" that people keep bringing up in business meetings? What does LMS mean? What is the definition and meaning of learning management systems? Good questions.
LMS Pricing Models: How to choose the best one?
Different LMS vendors have different pricing models. We'll review the different LMS pricing models, so you can make an informed decision about what LMS price model suits your business.
Disclaimer: We're pretty biased. So while reading we think you'll guess which one we prefer :-)